Thursday, June 2, 2016

Post-Trip Reflection

It has been a week since I have returned home from Germany, which has given me an abundance of time to settle back into my normal routine and reflect upon all that I experienced on the trip.

I definitely have mixed emotions about returning, besides the fact that for some reason I thought Donald Trump would magically disappear by the time I came back, there are certain things I already miss about Germany. I quickly became spoiled with the phenomenal accessibility of the arts in Germany and by the end of the trip I was so accustomed to going to multiple museums and performances each day.  Each evening I had the opportunity to see a different theater performance, opera, or classical music concert at a different venue in nearly all of the seven cities we visited. Every performance I saw opened my eyes and made me question my prior perceptions of performing arts. When asked by my friends and family what my favorite performance was that we saw, it’s impossible to name only one, but instead I believe that the variety of shows made the trip truly amazing and memorable for me. Similarly, we didn’t see any “terrible” shows, and while there are some that I certainly preferred over others (Zement and Faust at Residenz, Tosca at National Theater, and Don Giovanni at Komische Oper being among my favorites) every single production we saw was thought provoking, well staged with a solid cast, and unlike anything one could experience in the US.

While I miss the constant exposure to the performing arts, I am a little glad to be able to spend hours in a practice room again. The shows I saw in Germany continue to inspire and challenge me weeks after and will continue to be influential as I tackle an abundance of new repertoire during the rest of the summer.

Will return to post more soon!

Deine,

Camille

La Bayadère- National Theater, Munich                                             Garmisch Partenkirchen



Opernhaus Nürnberg, Lieder Recital
 Semperoper Dresden, Dornröschen
                                               


No comments:

Post a Comment