Saturday, May 14, 2016

Belated May 5th Reflection Post

It's very late but I'm happy to finally be able to post this blog! After numerous fights with my temperamental laptop and frustrating wifi connections, I finally figured out a way to make it work! I apologize for the delay, but time to travel back in time to May 5th, when I originally wrote this blog:


Today I learned how much can be expressed with little to no words. Through the use of pencil crayons, dance, and theatre, artists can move an audience in so many ways. Today, for the first time since 5th grade, I really attempted to create art. I was intimidated by my lack of natural talent. I found that the hardest part is becoming comfortable enough to start an idea. I know I need to work on my confidence in order to become better. I am really excited to see the progress I make throughout the trip. I now have my first piece created and look forward to seeing the transformation over these next few weeks.

My art time was cut short in order to go see the ballet La Bayadere at The Nationaltheater. It was worth it before the curtain even rose, because the building was so beautiful. I loved the ballet because it was so universal. The audience ranged from 5 years old to 85, and everyone was able to enjoy themselves. The ballet did not disappoint. I loved the fact that they were able to convey an entire story without a single word spoken. Through the art of dance, they were able to show emotion and create a plot. It was truly amazing. People underestimate the art of dance, they think it is just something beautiful to watch. It is very beautiful, but it is so much more. It holds a great meaning that everyone can enjoy. I am so glad I had this opportunity.

There wasn’t much time for rest. I grabbed a very quick dinner and then was on to the next show, “Yesterday You Said Tomorrow”. I had no idea what to expect when I went to this play, which I think turned out for the better. There were very little words spoken. The entire show consisted of 3 people in a room, but experiencing their own virtual reality. Video projection was incorporated within the play. Seeing the multimedia is new to me, and I really enjoyed it. I now know that nothing was exaggerated when we learned about German Theater winter semester. I would not be able to experience this anywhere else in the world. It was crazy and made me think. It ended with the words hope and fear alternating fast, making people think about whether or not the future of technology is something to hope for or fear. After discussion with others, I was able to come to conclusion that I hope we attack the advancing technology in a way that would limit fear. In order to do that, we need to get people thinking about the potential problems, which is exactly what this play did.

No comments:

Post a Comment