Saturday, May 21, 2016

Memorials in Berlin

Visiting memorials in Berlin have raised questions which I haven't spent time on before: What distinguishes a memorial as good or bad? Does the content and style of a memorial as important as what is being memorialized? Notably, we have visited the Jewish memorial near the Brandenburg gate, and the Soviet War Memorial in Treptower Park, both of which I believe are exemplary of a good and poor memorials, respectively. 
Image result for jewish memorial berlin


Images courtesy of Wikipedia


As you can tell from the images, both memorial approach the topic of death during the second World War with different approaches in style. While I could perhaps write a thesis about this topic, I merely wanted to show something that I have been thinking about in Berlin for the last few days, and pose the question, does how me memorialize things have an affect on how we remember them?

No comments:

Post a Comment