Wednesday, May 25, 2016

May 24 reflection
Never in a million years would I have pictured myself on this trip painting in the alps, painting right here in Berlin, or even just painting period. Painting, drawing, sculpting, and theater, all of these activities have never been part of my meticulously detailed 8-year plan of science, logic and problems with solutions (and a little bit of music on the side). I'm often asked why I took this course and sometimes I ask myself the same thing too. But sometimes there is no algorithm; I simply felt as if I had a place in this program regardless of the title of my major or my "career goals." 

Before the trip I was given the tools to develop my own creativity with acting and to experiment with my physical presence. During this trip, I've been given the opportunity to explore a new place, and doing it with a creative mindset has opened up a new world entirely. Suddenly gloomy train stations became places vibrant with color, and passing glimpses of tired, strange face became canvases filled with their own dynamic stories. Depth, lines, angles, movement, and color all make up our visual world, subject to our individual perceptions and distortions. Mine are just now being discovered.
In our classroom, whether at the bottom of the alps, in a museum, at a market in the city, or early this year on stage, I learned about the principle of appreciating and producing art. To me this has been key to being able to explore my surroundings with a new, more open perspective. 


--
Mary Elizabeth Zinn


No comments:

Post a Comment